Jo joined the RZSS in 2000 as an animal keeper. After specialising in birds she became Animal Registrar in 2007, with responsibility for the animal records database. This is still a part of her day to day work, but through this, an interest in population management developed and she is now responsible for one European Endangered Species Breeding Programme and one European Studbook and is Penguin TAG vice-chair on behalf of RZSS and EAZA.
Jo's research is pertinent to the successful management of RZSS studbook populations.
- M.Sc. (University of Edinburgh, UK) Applied Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare
- M.A. (Cambridge University, UK)
- EEP coordinator for the Red-fronted macaw (Ara rubrogenys)
- ESB studbook keeper for the Gentoo penguin (Pygoscelis papua)
- Core group member: BIAZA Records group
- EAZA Penguin TAG vice-chair
THE ROYAL ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF SCOTLANDSign into our Members Portal here
RZSS - Anteaters and Highways - Project TamanduASAS
Conservation behind the scenes at RZSS - Love Your Zoo Week 2019
Find out more about some of the amazing conservation work going on behind the scenes at RZSS Edinburgh Zoo and our Highland Wildlife Park