Age suitability: Nursery
Availability: Edinburgh Zoo
Length of lesson: 40 minutes
Maximum Class Size: 20
An interactive story about penguins; join Rocky and his penguin friends for an adventure in Antarctica. Children can participate in acting out the story, as well as observing and handling some penguin biofacts, such as feathers and eggs.
- To recognise typical penguin form including flippers, feet, beak, feathers and claws.
- To know that there are a variety of penguin species.
- To know the simple life cycle of a penguin.
Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes:
- HWB 0-48a ‘I recognise that we have similarities and differences but are all unique.’
- SOC 0-17a ‘I make decisions and take responsibility in my everyday experiences and play, showing consideration for others.’
- SOC 0-08a ‘I explore and appreciate the wonder of nature within different environments and have played a part in caring for the environment.’
- SCN 0-01a ‘I have observed living things in the environment over time and am becoming aware of how they depend on each other.’