Pandas. Polar bears. Lions. Tigers. Koalas. Wildcats. Penguins and more. Helping to save threatened species from extinction. The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS). The iconic Edinburgh Zoo. Highland Wildlife Park, possibly the most stunning wildlife park in the world. Conservation projects in Scotland and around the world. Reintroducing species to the wild. Educating the next generation. Amazing animals and inspirational people. No two days the same – guaranteed! A unique job with an incredible charity. And a chance to make your mark.
What you will be doing
You’ll be leading and managing the day-to-day front of house catering operations to deliver first-class visitor experience. In collaboration with the Back of House Catering Coordinator, you will ensure everything runs smoothly and that your team and visitors enjoy a safe and happy environment; whilst generating income to exceed agreed targets in support of RZSS vision and mission. You will;
- Oversee the daily front of house team, e.g. rostering staff, communicating targets and key messages, monitoring sales and service performance, dealing with any issues which may arise.
- Develop and maintain a supportive and dynamic first-class sales and service culture amongst the team -focusing on delivering high standards of service and food presentation in accordance with Cook safe regulations.
- Ensure all team members are aware of procedural/process changes, menu changes and existing and planned change (team brief etc.) which might impact visitor experience within the Park and have access to appropriate training, e.g. till systems/cash handling and have access to Society’s online packages training (e.g. Gannet, E-Learning, Cascade).
- Lock up front of house at the end of the day ensuring safety and security of cafes and kitchen areas.
- Ensure the front of house is presented to the highest standards (displays, seating areas, signage), fully stocked and equipment is cleaned, maintained and serviced on a regular basis.
This is a part time, fixed term Maternity Cover role, where the working hours are 30 hours per week and you will be required to work weekends.
What you'll need
Working as part of Business Operations and Visitor Experience team you must have excellent communication and team-working skills, with a proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with employees and managers at all levels within a customer service environment. If you have the following we would love to hear from you:
- good achievement at Higher grade level (including English and Mathematics) or equivalent qualifications or experience and SVQ level 4, or equivalent qualification or experience, in a relevant subject e.g. customer service would be desirable.
- Significant experience of team leading in a customer service environment (ideally within a visitor attraction)
- excellent team-working skills, with a proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with employees and managers at all levels
- trained and certificated in Cooksafe and have the ability and/or qualification to train others
- A good understanding and use of electronic cash systems, accurate numerical reasoning skills and attention to detail are essential
What you'll get in return
As a Charity, first and foremost, we work hard to make sure our benefits package is competitive and attractive. As well as the fundamental benefits like salary and access to a Work Place pension, we offer other rewards that can help you financially, can make work a bit easier and make life outside of work a lot more fun! For example, 33 days annual leave allowance, life assurance, friends and family discounts, employee assistance programme and free access to a whole host of other Scottish attractions with our ASVA (Association of Scottish Visitor Attractions) passes.
We offer more than everyday job satisfaction - as well as our wonderful animals we have a highly professional, diverse and friendly staff community too. So, in working for RZSS you've not only got a great job in a very interesting organisation - you're also part of an amazing cause too!
To apply, please download and complete an application form and recruitment monitoring form (see top right) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. CV’s are welcomed but must be submitted along with your Application Form.
Postal applications may also be sent to The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, Edinburgh Zoo, HR Team, 134 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh, EH12 6TS
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 22 September 2019.
Due to the level of interest in these positions, we are not able to contact each unsuccessful applicant individually. Therefore, if you have not been contacted by 9 October 2019, please assume that you have been unsuccessful this time.
Connecting people with nature. Safeguarding species from extinction. We are the Royal Zoological Society for Scotland (RZSS), and for over 100 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity as well as an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction. We’ve been a charity since our founding in 1909 and maintain a keen commercial edge to ensure a sustainable, bright and exciting future. Through our two sites, RZSS Edinburgh Zoo and RZSS Highland Wildlife Park, we provide unique and memorable experiences and engage over 750,000 visitors per year in the wonders of the natural world, taking care of over 1,000 rare and endangered animals in safe and stimulating surroundings. The RZSS strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Registered Charity SC004064