Are you a dynamic and innovative professional who can develop and maintain a first-class service culture and visitor experience? We are looking for a Visitor Experience and Duty Manager to lead and manage the day to day visitor operations at Edinburgh Zoo - ensuring an environment that is engaging, well maintained and provides a 5-star visitor experience.
The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS) are seeking a Visitor Experience & Duty Manager to lead and manage the Visitor Experience team to manage RZSS Edinburgh Zoo as an accessible, exciting and secure visitor attraction ensuring first-class customer service standards and site presentation. Based at Edinburgh Zoo, this is an exciting opportunity to further your career with one of Scotland’s leading conservation and education charities.
What you’ll be doing…
The Visitor Experience team are responsible for providing a 5-star experience for our visitors, from the initial welcome at the car park entrance and members gate entrance through to coordinating visitor activities and running our Zoo transport systems. Essentially, as Visitor Experience & Duty Manager, you can expect to:
- manage all aspects of visitor experience team (staff, external contractors, car park, vehicle gate, members gate and on-site transport)
- act as Duty Manager with responsibility for managing, and coordinating the response, to incidents and their impact across the site
- manage and motivate up to 20 team members. This involves the weekly rotas, communicating targets, appraisals and development and dealing with any issues as they arise.
- lead on the management of external service contractors (security and cleaning)
- coordinate external accreditation (Visit Scotland) and inspections
- build positive and proactive relations with colleagues in other departments within the Zoo, focusing teams on the joined-up delivery and presentation of a world class experience and visitor attraction.
This is a full-time permanent position where the working hours are 37.5 hours per week and includes regular weekend working and duty management responsibilities.
What you’ll need…
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative professional who understands and can deliver 5-star customer service. You should be a team player who is highly organised and who can prioritise work to deadlines and maintain high levels of accuracy under pressure. If you have the following, we would love to hear from you:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent qualifications or experience.
- Health and Safety qualification e.g. IOSHH with good working knowledge of Health and safety practices and an understanding of diversity and inclusion issues/regulations.
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Significant team-working skills, with a proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with employees and managers at all levels, including contracted service staff.
- Significant experience of team leading in a customer service environment
- Experience of working in a similar visitor attraction environment
- Confidence, initiative, and empathy to deal with customer queries and incident management
- Good working knowledge of MS Office
Please note that an offer of employment is subject to satisfactory references, evidence of qualifications, right to work in the UK and Basic Disclosure Scotland check prior to commencement.
What you’ll get in return…
We also look after our people just as much as we look after our animals and visitors. As well as the fundamental benefits like salary and a Work Place pension, we offer other rewards that can help you financially, can make work a bit easier and make life outside of work a lot more fun! For example, 34 days annual leave allowance, life assurance, friends and family discounts, Employee Assistance Programme and free access to a whole host of other Scottish attractions with our ASVA (Association of Scottish Visitor Attractions) passes.
We offer more than everyday job satisfaction - as well as our wonderful animals we have a highly professional, diverse and friendly staff community too. So, in working for RZSS you've not only got a great job in a very interesting organisation - you're also part of an amazing cause too!
To apply, please complete a RZSS application form and recruitment monitoring form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Postal applications may also be sent to: The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, Edinburgh Zoo, HR Team, 134 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh, EH12 6TS.
Closing date: Sunday 30 June 2019 with interviews likely to take place week commencing 15 July 2019.
Due to the level of interest in these positions, we are not able to contact each unsuccessful applicant individually. Therefore, if you have not been contacted by Friday 28 June, please assume that you have been unsuccessful this time.
Connecting people with nature. Safeguarding species from extinction. We are the Royal Zoological Society for Scotland (RZSS), and for over 100 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity as well as an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction. We’ve been a charity since our founding in 1909 and maintain a keen commercial edge to ensure a sustainable, bright and exciting future. Through our two sites, RZSS Edinburgh Zoo and RZSS Highland Wildlife Park, we provide unique and memorable experiences and engage over 750,000 visitors per year in the wonders of the natural world, taking care of over 1,000 rare and endangered animals in safe and stimulating surroundings. The RZSS strives to be an equal opportunities employer. Registered Charity SC004064.