Age suitability: P1 - P7
Availability: Edinburgh Zoo and Highland Wildlife Park
Length of lesson: 50 minutes
Maximum class size: 33
This interactive session enable pupils to explore the wildlife and habitats of South America and the conservation work that is done there through taking part in a Yoga session.
This session does not include any Education Officer guided time outside in the zoo.
The lesson begins with some warm up activities based around the Brazilian flag before the story takes the group out to the Pantanal to see Arnaud and the animals that he helps to protect.
The yoga session includes a warm up and a cool down section and doesn't require any specialist equipment or clothing. Some of the poses that are used are: warrior 3, downwards facing dog, tree pose and cobra pose.
- To know and understand that RZSS has conservation projects in Brazil.
- To explore ways to move our bodies in some recognised yoga stances.
- To explore physical activity outside of the school walls.
Curriculum for Excellence Outcomes:
- HWB 0-25a ‘I am enjoying daily opportunities to participate in different kinds of energetic play, both outdoors and indoors.’
- HWB 1-22a ‘I am developing skills and techniques and improving my level of performance and fitness.’
- HWB 2-25a ‘I am experiencing enjoyment and achievement on a daily basis by taking part in different kinds of energetic physical activities of my choosing, including sport and opportunities for outdoor learning, available at my place of learning and in the wider community.’