Our Enrichment Group seeks to evaluate and promote appropriate natural behaviours among our animals, such as foraging for food or nesting. Enrichment also serves to improve animal visibility to both visitors and staff, providing an enhanced experience all round.
There are five main types of enrichment: social, cognitive, physical, sensory and food. By contributing to our animals' environments, you can help us ensure they receive the best possible care.
Donate unwanted items
Penguins: RZSS Edinburgh Zoo’s famous black and white inhabitants, the 200 strong colony of gentoo, rockhopper and king penguins, are extremely curious creatures. Second only to fish, penguins love chasing after bubbles.
Primates: If granny’s knitting isn’t quite to size, or you’ve had one too many festive jumpers adorned with snowmen and reindeer, spare a thought for our chimpanzees and other primates who love to use them as snuggle blankets, or just generally tear them to shreds – however the mood takes them! If you happen to have a stockpile of old newspapers, telephone directories or any cardboard tubes and rolls, then our mischievous primates would be more than happy to take them off your hands.
Birds: Non-toxic paint, canvasses and brushes go down great with our birds who love to get creative. Meanwhile our parrots, who love the noise, can offer you a new home for discarded baby rattles. A few too many rubber snakes, spiders and frogs in your stocking this year? Why not donate them to RZSS Edinburgh Zoo to be used in our fantastic birds of prey shows for our birds to retrieve?
Buy a gift for our animals
If you're not feeling too creative, but would still like to provide enrichment and fun for our special animals, why not buy them a gift? We have established Amazon wishlists for both Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo and a Highland Wildlife Park which contain a number of specific items our animals would love to receive. In particular, our sun bears love boomer balls - the larger the better - and rubber Kong chew toys. So if you would like to buy our animals a little treat, please do!
(PS. Don't forget to use giveasyoulive.com and choose Royal Zoological Society of Scotland before shopping on Amazon. We will receive a percentage of your purchase as a donation to our charitable efforts.)
Enrichment Materials Needed
We are always on the lookout for items we can incorporate into enrichment such as:
- Pet Toys - please see the amazon wishlist for ideas
- Tools (for making enrichment such as drill, chain link, saw, silicone moulds for shaping food enrichment, paint brushes, rope, D shackles, carabiners)
- Fire hoses
- Food colouring and flavourings e.g. vanilla essence
- Scented stuff e.g. herbs, spices, aromatherapy oils, perfumes/aftershave
- Edible organic stuff e.g. ketchup, mustard, honey, peanut butter, jelly - palm oil free only
- Seeds (for growing edible flowers, herbs etc)
- Garden equipment e.g. hanging baskets, astroturf
- Linen- sheets, towels, throws, duvet covers, cushion/pillow covers etc - Please note - we cannot use duvet or pillow inserts
- Brush heads (natural fibres)
- Unbreakable mirrors
- Wind chimes
- Clear plastic tubes
- Newspaper and large cardboard boxes (please note we cannot use cardboard containing staples or tape)
To donate materials, or provide enrichment in any other way to our beautiful animals, please contact the team on firstname.lastname@example.org