Age suitability: Nursery
Availability: Edinburgh Zoo
Length of lesson: 40 minutes
Maximum Class Size: 20
Children are introduced to a selection of small, tame animals from the following:
- Guinea Pig
- Giant Land Snail
- Madagascan Hissing Cockroach
- Bearded Dragon
Children will be encouraged to carefully observe and handle animals, taking note of colours, textures, and sounds, and differences between themselves and the animals.
This session does not include a walkabout tour in the zoo.
- Appreciation of differences and similarities between animals, including ourselves, with particular focus on body covering.
- To interact with and observe live animals, showing consideration for their well-being.
Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes:
- HWB 0-48a ‘I recognise that we have similarities and differences but are all unique.’
- SOC 0-17a ‘I make decisions and take responsibility in my everyday experiences and play, showing consideration for others.’
- SOC 0-08a ‘I explore and appreciate the wonder of nature within different environments and have played a part in caring for the environment.’
- SCN 0-01a ‘I have observed living things in the environment over time and am becoming aware of how they depend on each other.’
- SCN 0-12a ‘I can identify my senses and use them to explore the world around me.’