Age Suitability: P1 - P3
Availability: Edinburgh Zoo and Highland Wildlife Park
Duration of lesson: 50 minutes
Maximum Class Size: 33
Children participate in an interactive lesson, through action, sound and handling of some real penguin or polar bear biofacts (such as eggs, skulls, feathers), to learn about physical features, behaviour and breeding. We finish the lesson with a short visit to our penguin/polar bear enclosure.
The focus will be different at our two parks with penguins being the theme at Edinburgh Zoo and polar bears at the Highland Wildlife Park.
- To recognise typical form, body features and adaptations.
- To know that there are a variety of species that live towards the poles.
- To know the life cycle of a polar animal.
Curriculum for Excellence Outcomes:
- HWB 0-48a ‘I recognise that we have similarities and differences but are all unique.’
- SOC 0-17a ‘I make decisions and take responsibility in my everyday experiences and play, showing consideration for others.’
- SOC 0-08a ‘I explore and appreciate the wonder of nature within different environments and have played a part in caring for the environment.’
- SCN 0-01a ‘I have observed living things in the environment over time and am becoming aware of how they depend on each other.’